Thursday, February 4, 2010

gender in community


So I am thinking about the novels I am going to teach and the women's issues that will come up--this seems like a good spot to find other bloggers in Community 2.0. So for example I will be teaching Edwidge Danticat's Breath, Eyes, Memory (Haiti) and Buchi Emecheta's Second Class Citizen (Nigeria). Both have women who migrate to completely different cultures and struggle with oppression and redefinition...
We'll also be looking at conditions in Haiti and the intersections of postcolonialism and globalization

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully we can find people for you to connect with! Welcome to the network!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do any of the women in the stories have conflicts with husbands that don't understand them or feel like they have to put them down? I ask because I will be teaching Story of an Hour, Yellow Wallpaper, and Stepford Wives in my ENA099

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely--Buchi Emecheta's heroine, Adah-has a husband who is enraged that she is liberated from Nigerian second class status (they have moved to England)--and he actually burns her first book! This would definitely work with Chopin or Gilman :)--and I like the idea of students in a capstone Writing and Lit course getting context in Am Lit...

    ReplyDelete