Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ethics of Food

Hi all. I've been blogging my course development for the Ethics of Food cluster here. By next week, I'll have my students' blogs set up and linked to that page too -- little setback when I suddenly discovered we didn't have a computer lab after all. *weeps quietly* However, I now have a standing order for the laptop lab, so we're pulling it together!

During the Learning Networks meeting, I talked with both Lizzie and Laura about linking our classes for some cross-feedback. There is a close overlap between my class and Lizzie's re the food theme, and my syllabus focuses a lot on labor and industrial processes, so there's conceptual overlap with Laura's. I've linked both of their pages to my course dev blog and will be in touch with them shortly to brainstorm some ways to get our students interacting!

Oh, I've also set up a Netvibes page to track the feeds from my different class blogs. This looks like useful tool because it lets you catch everything at a glance, and it was very easy to set up. Plus the Pac Man theme is cute. You can check out my Netvibes page here.

Chris

6 comments:

  1. Hm hm.. that's amazing but to be honest i have a hard time visualizing it... wonder what others have to say..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netvibes rocks! I hope you end up loving it as much as I do.

    Good luck with the wired classroom; my experiences have been...ok.

    The good news is that the students can do the work outside class A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,
    I'm having my students set up Blogger OUTSIDE the classroom and about 80% can do it no problem (which leaves 10% to do it with me before/after class or during office hours and 10% to space out)

    here's my food/politics blog
    http://foodpoliticsyou.blogspot.com

    We're watching Food Inc today (so students can get a snapshot of the whole topics and get writing) -

    Hope everything is going great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last semester I had my students do the same! I had very similar results--only 3 or 4 needed my help getting the blog set up and linked. I'll add your link to our link list. --J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris and Lizzie -

    Via facebook I just came across this ning site for an local activist group - might be interesting for you especially if you're doing a section on 'what can be done'?

    http://brooklynfoodcoalition.ning.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Prof T - THANKS!

    @ Chris - I take back what I said this morning. The "follow directions and set up a blog at home" thing had about 40% success in my 101 sections. Some students flaked out (many) and a lot had issues with set up etc. Next time I will wait to use a lab so they can all set up Blogs together with more direct assistance.

    ReplyDelete