Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Courses - Spring 2010

I'm teaching three classes this Spring - two sections of composition (ENG 101) and one section of Art, Politics and Protest, which I'll be teaching for the first time. In the past, I've set up a course blog for ENG 101 - they then have their own blogs that are linked to that home page. All the student blogs from the two sections are listed together. This semester I'll also cross link the blogs from the two different courses.

My 101 Course is centered around the theme of work. For their final research project, they interview someone about their work life. We read Studs Terkel's famous Working as a model and this semester I'll also be using the archives for the first time.

In Art, Politics and Protest we'll be focusing on the history of the civil rights movement as revealed through music from "Strange Fruit" to Public Enemy. Later we'll look at some theoretical writings on the role of art in political struggle, mass culture, satire, and so forth. Naturally, I'm looking to embed lots of video and audio files.

2 comments:

  1. My 101/103 will be doing a unit on labor and the meatpacking industry this term, so we might be able to pull our students into dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! "Later we'll look at some theoretical writings on the role of art in political struggle, mass culture, satire, and so forth." Did I mention to ya that my 101 students are doing work on Judy Chicago's _The Dinner Party_?

    Would that be of interest?

    ReplyDelete