Friday, April 9, 2010

Moving Towards a Conversation

I don't have a lot to report this week - some have taken to blogging more quickly than others, but many of both the 101 and the art, politics and protest students have started to do some nice posts responding to readings and, in the case of 101, getting feedback from me on a piece of their draft.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to more fully use the interactive part of web 2.0 - I know that they're looking at and following each other's blogs, but they're not commenting, and probably won't for the most part unless I give specific guidelines about this. I don't want a respond for the sake of responding kind of situation, but I also don't want too much of a formal requirement, since we're juggling so much and part of the appeal of the blog is it's relatively non-proscriptive nature. I'm thinking about how I might make a post that has a build in response element - a post that asks a question, and then respond to someone else's, or something along those lines, or as a part of our revision work.

I'd also still like to arrange for cross-commenting with other classes, or having some of my blog-addicted friends & colleagues, with their permission, visit and make comments, in order to build on the sense of having a real audience.



4 comments:

  1. Hey, T. I hope you don't mind that I added some tags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly where I am right now. I'm considering having them be required to comment while in class, so I know they'll go through the steps. But for some reason, it feels kind of severe to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, because what we want is "real" interaction as opposed to "coercive" interaction.

    On the other hand, so many of the things we do--"get in groups," "write a reflection"--are generated by our perception of what is important, so maybe requiring them to comment on each others' entries falls in this category.

    P.S. The software keeps telling me that the phrase "each other's" is incorrect--apparently I have written it wrong most of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commenting in class would be ideal, but we're not in a computer lab. I agree that we require lots of things, but making commenting a requirement to be done outside of class I think rises towards a level of nit-picky-ness and micromanaging I'd like to avoid, unless it was a part of a more formal peer review/revision process.

    ReplyDelete