Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Students Prefer Blogs

This was kind of an unusal experience.

My students' midterm grades were lower than I expected, so I asked them to do a freewrite based upon some prompts, asking what they expected the midterm to cover, how they studied, what was hard about the midterm, how they would prepare differently for the final, etc.

I asked them to write out their responses on paper and they asked if they could post it on the blog instead.

I asked if it didn't seem too personal for their blogs, which are public, and they said it wasn't a big deal.

So I said they could post a response on their blogs if that was their preference, but they could also hand write or email me a response.

And everyone posted their responses on their blogs.

I'm not sure what the significance of this is, but I was very surprised. I think it definitely speaks to a preference for communicating digitally (at least in my example). I'm not sure if the public, or semi-public nature of their blogs is also somehow attractive to them.

One student did say that no one knows who their blogs belong to, which I suppose is true.

Their final projects are discussing how Facebook is impacting privacy. I'm very curious to read their thoughts on that.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience w/ my ENG 099 that I talked about during this Friday's conference: at the beginning of the semester, many of my 099 students were alarmed that their work would be shared with others in the class, let alone the whole world (not that many people would find ACT practice tests alluring).

    NOW they actually like when other students comment on their papers, and they more than eagerly posted their views about the new Ning pricing on the CEO's blog, even though you have to give your name and e-mail address (!)

    Who woulda thunk it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon--the "other students" meant to refer to students from other classes that peer critique their papers.

    ReplyDelete