Friday, September 10, 2010

Ethical Query.

Hello!

So I'll start off with an ethical, rather than technical, problem.

I really want to be paperless. AND I really like the transparency of using blogs. Students write, their peers comment, everyone can watch the writing process and its feedback loops.

I know what criteria I want to use to grade my student's everyday blog entries.

However, some of my students' blog entries are substituting for papers. Rather, they are formal papers posted on the blog rather than printed and handed in. As such, they require more detailed feedback. in many cases, they will be failing papers that need a lot of feedback.

Must I send a private email with this feedback and grade to each student? Is there a way to still post my feedback as a public comment (without the grade maybe?) so that other students can learn from this? I like the openness, but I don;t want students to feel that their privacy is violated or something. ....

Ideas....

Thanks!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Hey Lizzie--Jason makes the comments public, though he has learned to write them in a bit more generic form so it is not so obvious what grade is being obtained and then records the grade in Blackboard for the students to see privately.

    The new Blackboard may even have a space for you to write comments and record the grade--don't know but you could check this week-end.

    Also, if your comments clearly will reveal the grade obtained, maybe e-mail is best. I know Rochelle grades via e-mail (she uses Google for everything) and is quite satisfied with how that works. Just make sure the student's e-mail is not shared with anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, after thinking about it, this is what I will do with my Shakespeare class:

    1. create a general folder in Google Docs named "Shakespeare."
    2. create a subfolder called "Shakespeare F10."
    3. create 1 text doc per student in the class (super easy)
    4. ask students to give/send me an e-mail address so I can share their document with them
    5. Update each document with grades/comments as the semester goes by

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going with what Ximena suggested, though I DO still comment on their blogs, but as a whole series. I am also going to have students eval one another prior to my assigning a blog series grade (every two weeks). They will be using Google Docs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, would be a little uncomfortable with leaving evaluative comments on students' work in a public forum. I like Ximena's suggestion, but also think that you might soften the singular grading authority of the instructor's comments by asking students to evaluate one another too, as Jason suggests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am considering have a Google Doc per student that is shared only with that one student that will operate as both gradebook and as a place for more "pointed" commentary. Though the set-up time for this may be a bit daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left out the phrase, as Ximena says above!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to try Ximena's way too. I hate e-mailing grades and that way I also have a document with all the comments, and so do the students

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am guessing the set-up time will be around 45 minutes per class, which is not so bad. Maybe I'll give my 099 a shot today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lizzie--I figured out that on Ning I can read the blog in the public space and then go to the student's personal FB type page and write the comment--it's not totally private but it's not on the main page--so far they seem to be comfortable with that--and it is only blogs--not more formal writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! It seems like the Google docs - though annoying to set up - are the way to go with this!

    Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete