Sunday, October 3, 2010

Disappointing turn out for inclass-paper-drafting session and possible match with another C2 participant

Unfortunately, this post will be a bit brief as my eyes are failing me since I've been commenting on my students' first draft of ad analysis throughout most of the weekend. While I'm very pleased by the work students have posted, I still can't quite figure out why, whenever I give my students an entire two hour class to compose their first drafts- this way they can consult me on the spot if they have questions, they can consult their classmates and they have less work to do outside of class-a third or almost half of them do not show up to class? Of course, none of the absent students posted their first drafts by Friday which was the deadline.

But on to my second part of the post, which is a possible connection with Ann Matsuuchi's research class. Ann and I are hoping to pair up our students in order for her students to help/advise my students on research strategies. Also, it this works, maybe the students can peer review each others papers later in the term.

Last but not least, I have a technical question about Google Docs for those of you who are more tech savvy. Is it possible for me to post a link to a handout in Google Docs and have my students save the handout to their Google Docs and complete/fill out the handout? Does this make sense? In other words, is it possible for another party to alter a document in Google Docs?

3 comments:

  1. Re: Google Docs.

    Yes. Here are the steps:

    1. Create Doc. Save Doc.
    2. Click on "Share" (top right)
    You have 3 options:
    a. Private (you can only share via e-mail and users will need a Google account to see the doc)

    b. Create a reeeeealllly long link that is practically untraceable to share with anyone. Link can be posted or sent via e-mail.

    c. Make the doc public (and, therefore, searchable). Haven't used this feature yet, but my guess is you also get a link.

    For any of these 3 options, you can decide to make the doc "view only" or "can edit" (and you can toggle between options).

    I hope this helps. If you want, you can try it with one of us first to see how well it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want individual responses (i.e. a quiz), in addition to the above you will need to "make a copy" of the quiz for each student and then "share" via their email address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the suggestions. Will try it out and let you know what it went.

    ReplyDelete