Thursday, December 2, 2010

For Marianne

So, I'm planning to have a post where I summarize my successes and misses for networks this semester, but, in the meantime, I thought this reflective post for my Shakespeare class would serve as a point of departure for the kind of survey Marianne wants to do with her students:
Take a look around the whole Ning (at your page, other people's posts, my comments and assignments, etc.) and write a response to Ning 15 that explains

1) one assignment that was fun to do and why
2) one assignment that made you learn something about something (what are those "somethings"?)
3) one assignment that you did not care for (why?)
4) one kind of assignment or task that we did NOT do that you either did on your own (say, customizing your page, adding a discussion), or an assignment you would have liked to have done, or a TYPE of assignment you would have liked to have done more of
5) whether, overall, you think the Ning was a useful tool to learn about Shakespeare (in what ways?)
6) Lastly, what were YOUR three very best Ning entries and why do you consider them the best? (this last answer will count toward your overall Ning grade, so give it some thought).
Notice that only one question asks about the tool itself (#5). That's because, as I said in a comment to Marianne's earlier post, I'm less interested in the tool than in understanding how the tool has helped my students learn or not.

BTW, this is not a reflection on the whole course, but just on the work we did in the Ning. The reflection on the course is separate.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I will definitely use some of these questions. I was also hoping to have a some sort of likert-scale but let's see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great questions, Dr. X! I think these will generate some very useful feedback for your course.

    As for Ms. K's concern, it would be fairly easy to add to/modify the questions to incorporate a more quantitative, Likert-style dimension (e.g., instead of inviting students to identify "one assignment that...," you might instead display *all* of the assignments in a matrix and ask the students to rate each according to your scale). It ultimately depends on what kind of data you're after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. Hope you don't mind me borrowing some of these for my class?

    ReplyDelete