Friday, January 7, 2011

My Wish List for Students

Hi all! Here is my developing wish list for students.
  1. I think college students should know how to use a computer.
  2. I would like my students to understand that reading is a method of thinking critically about something that is important to them and that by reading they engage with the the thoughts of the author and give validity to their intellectual labor.
  3. I would like my students to understand that writing is a method of thinking critically about something that is important to them and that by writing they communicate that import to others.
  4. I want my students to be able to conduct research on the Internet.
  5. I want my students to be able to discern the difference between fact and unsupported opinion or belief.
  6. I would like for my students to value their own experiences of life.
  7. I want my students to engage in online communities effectively and responsibly.
  8. I want my students to understand that “writing well” means knowing your audience and that different types of “writing” work for different audiences and in different situations and that the only “good” writing is writing that achieves the desired effect.
  9. I want my students to be able to think critically about media and the colossal effect that it has on their lives.
  10. I want my students to think critically about capitalism and consumerism so they have at least the smallest chance to engage the system in life-affirming ways.
  11. I want my students to have access to the richness of an intellectual life--if they so choose.
  12. I want my students to have the chance to experience the joy and potential rebelliousness of art in all its forms.
I am thinking more about how all of this works with Community 2.0. :)

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I agree to all points, especially now that we are both teaching about the production of reality.

    Maybe I would add, specifically as connected to the networks:

    I want my students to understand that they are not alone in their struggles.
    I want my students to get a taste of future possibilities.
    I want my students to help others and learn to accept help from others.

    Maybe we should compile these and add them toour syllabi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great idea. Also, our collective "wish list" might serve as a nice, unconventional, outline for an article. :)

    ReplyDelete