Friday, March 11, 2011

Good start to a semester but need help with two tech-questions

Having taught the 6:45 a.m. class for few semesters, I was surprised to see that some of my students, both on the first and second day of class, 8 a.m. on Wed. and Fri., were still a bit sleepy. But then I thought to myself, these are college students, who unlike myself, a woman nearing 30 (ugh), do not go regularly go to bed at 10 or 11 p.m. and get up at 5 a.m. But overall the class seems interested in the readings; the first one Fausto-Sterling's "How to Build a Man?" sparked a nice discussion in class today and I'm excited to read students' first posts. As on Fridays, my class meets in the computer lab, today students completed the pre-survey, then set up their individual blogs, posted comments on the class blog with the URLs of their blogs and composed/began composing their first blog post.
All went very well. But I have two questions:

-Some of the URLs of students' blogs do not seem to be working? Instead, when I click on them, I get the following message:
You are viewing a feed that contains frequently updated content. When you subscribe to a feed, it is added to the Common Feed List. Updated information from the feed is automatically downloaded to your computer and can be viewed in Internet Explorer and other programs. Learn more about feeds.



-Also, Prof. Smith and Prof. X mentioned this during the seminar- how do I go about locking students' computers so when I'm demonstrating something on the main computer and projector, they wont be able to work on anything else?

4 comments:

  1. My best guess for #1 is that the students in question have not yet "published" a blog entry. They may have written one, and saved one, but not "published" it. Blogs do not go live until they do so. For #2 you need to open Net-Op (Start--All Programs--Net-Op) and then click the button that says "Full Screen". It used to be on the "Demonstrate Tab" but some of the newer labs have different tabs due to a newer version of the program. I'd suggest popping into class early, starting net-op, and giving it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Jason: the problem is most probably one of not posting. BUT, last semester I had a similar issue and I fixed it by actually going to the student's blog (by typing the address? or maybe clicking the feed?) and then cutting and pasting the address again into my blogroll...and then it worked. Why? It's a mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Of the four troublesome URLs, I was able to get three of them to work. The fourth one works, but for some reason, does not when I add it to the Blog List on the class blog? I'll try removing it and adding it again tomorrow. I've tried it several times today but still no luck.
    As for the second question, I'll give it a try next Friday in computer lab and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about the blog stuff since I don't really use them. As for NetOps - works great and the lab staff can give you a few minutes demonstration that can help. For the most part, I freeze screens, display my screen on class monitors and when necessary, display the wandering student on the projector. Oh, I sometimes block certain websites so there is no craigslist shopping, etc.

    ReplyDelete