Friday, April 8, 2011

As promised, I am breaking out into Youtube!



So my tech goals this semester were to experiment with Facebook and with Youtube. I have now done a little of both. I am using Facebook as a "chat" page for my students (there is a bit of disinformation being passed there, but at least I can catch it and stop it) and as online office hours (using the live chat function). I have used Youtube for their videos on occasion, but not actually as a teaching tool, so I have decided to start mimicking  my mini-lectures as videos that can be reviewed over and over as the students wish and also to give verbal directions for homework, lab, and so on that pairs with the written directions. Both seem to be working really well, though I will finally have to learn to speak more slowly. Sigh.

8 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! Great idea!!!!!!!!
    The only problem with doing this is that I need to make sure that my "roots" are done before I try such a venture.
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am certainly getting a haircut after this exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great and really brave idea.
    I will never do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. "Brave" means I look terrible, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used the digital story method instead of a video of me! I created a PowerPoint, exported as pictures and then recorded. Great way to do a walk through of the syllabus in an online course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason, I would never say such a thing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Jason - Can I use this screenshot and description in the 99 handbook?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of using video to explain grammar and usage concepts especially, because the same errors come up so frequently--not just within a single class, but across semesters. I always get tired of having to repeat the same schpiel over and over again, so it would be really useful to be able to direct students to a site and just say, "watch this video."

    P.S. - Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete