Friday, April 29, 2011

Post midterm and preparing for audio/video peer review

On Wed. I returned my studetns' midterms with comments (strengths and weaknesses) and I asked them to assign themselves grades based on my comments. Today, we reviewed the midterm questions and I talked with each student individually about what grade they think their midterms should receive. For the most part, the grades students assigned themselves were the same or close to those I assigned them. And actually, few of them were much harsher on themselves than I was :) But one student in particular, who tends not to follow directions/answer prompts, once again insisted his essay/midterm was on point. Hmmm....I can't quite figure him out; he is a wonderful writer but all his blog posts and assignments always critique the writer/author's feminist agenda rather than answering the assigned questions/prompts.

Now, I am really excited about having students record themselves reading their first drafts of their research paper 1 and posting this video on their blogs. I really think this will show them how helpful it is to read one's work out loud, especially to another person. And this video peer review would do just that. BUT I remember that last term when I recorded my students' debate, uploaded it to YouTube, and tried posting it on the class blog, I ran into few issues, mainly the video was too long. I don't think this will be the case with students reading a 3 page paper. But the second issue is access to the media to complete this activity. I took Prof. Susan's suggestions about where students can access audio recoding devices. In the library media center, I would have to reserve the room and probably do so during class time, which I cannot spare. Now in C 216 students can do audio recordings on their own- I spoke with a gentleman who works there- but if they are unable to complete this part of the project, I feel sort of bad penalizing them for failing to do so? Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Students can make audio recordings in the ePortfolio lab, E-273, during open hours (i.e., when there is not a class in session). All of the computers are equipped with headset microphones and audio recording software called Audacity.

    Audacity is also free to download (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/). Students can record from home if their computers have microphone input.

    Still another option is the recording feature on many smartphones.

    ReplyDelete