Monday, May 9, 2011

The public dimension of 2.0

While I was going to wait until my students interacted with Magda's class to report this week, but X's blog entry had me thinking: in our community 2.0 classes, where is the class, i.e. the non-physical one. For instance, a Ning seems a self-contained entity and one can get a near-full view of the activities in the classroom: the assignments, blog entries, discussions, etc. But what about my classes? I use Blogger, but also google docs and google groups. Because google groups came as a later addition this semester, there is no direct link to it on the class website, only a link on a week's post where the assignment called for using the platform. As for google docs, I give feedback and grades there, so there is no public access and for good reason.

My thinking here connects to our commitment to use open platforms, which was present from the pilot and got me really excited. Truth be told, if students were to connect only with other LaGuardia students then there would be a way around that in blackboard. Perhaps a bit cumbersome, but in a way more efficient as we would also be on the same platform. I would like to think that eventually we will find ways to connect with students/teachers/classes from other schools, but this brings me back to my first question: what constitutes the public dimension of community 2.0 classes? How public is it? Platforms certainly have a lot to do with that (for instance, facebook is non-public since you need to have an account, as opposed to blogger which can be completely open).  I guess this is probably the point where we move to the next level, whatever that may be, and perhaps to research on the public dimension of teaching and learning, processes that since the establishment of universities have always been considered private and exclusive.

3 comments:

  1. True, with so many platforms and technology tools, I wonder how easy/difficult it really is for our students to navigate through their course assignments and network with each other; especially if they are using several different platforms in one semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might want to start surveying students (or have them write reflections) about "shared space". Where did they think of "class" being?

    ReplyDelete