Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Themes Activity

I learned that I want to go back to school! Everyone's work sounds so interesting, I wish I could take some of these classes for fun. Seriously, I learned that the potential for connection is there, even between classes that seem to be quite different. Rebekah's students will be writing about art and the idea of linking writing skills to visual images is intriguing to me. Priscilla suggested using performance to highlight the importance of oral traditions during my class discussions of poetry. Judith is helping students move from the working class to the middle class and I'm wondering if I can find a way to link her work to our reading of Fast Food Nation, which features workers of many kinds. Vera's classes will debate free will and determinism, another possible link to my class themes of race, gender, and social class -- can we control our place in society or must we play the hand we're dealt? I came away from this activity with deep questions and a sense of the many opportunities to be explored.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to talk to you "in person" today (and not just via email)!

    Your course themes sound interesting - it makes me want to study again, too!

    ReplyDelete