Thursday, September 15, 2011

Week 1: Setting Up

I came into this week feeling very prepared -- I had created a Facebook page for each of my two classes, posted the course information sheet and other relevant documents, and even made the first assignment or two available. I knew both classes would be in computer labs on Monday so I planned to have them log onto Facebook, join the class group, do the student survey, and post their first informal writing. My plans were foiled early on when no one in my ENG 101 class was able to find the group page I had created. Befuddled, I tried several different tactics to no avail. I finally wrote the URL for the student survey on the board so they could at least do that and asked them to e-mail me the first informal writing assignment rather than post it. I was prepared for a similarly frustrating experience with my ENG 102 class later that day but, lo and behold, most of them found the group page just fine and we were able to get started as planned.

I'm still not sure what the problem was but after conferring with Ximena and Jason I decided to e-mail a link to the group directly to students. In class on Wednesday, I wrote the URL on the board for anyone who hadn't checked their e-mail, letting them know to e-mail me if they have any trouble. So far, it seems to be working since most of the class has now joined the group and I haven't gotten any e-mails.

I gave both classes an online assignment to complete over the weekend and asked them to read each other's posts before class on Monday. We'll see how that goes. It was a bit of a shaky start but having a Plan B (and C) definitely helped and I didn't lose too much time. Let's hope next week goes a bit more smoothly!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you thought well on your feet, and the email strategy's a good one. At times I've also had issues finding stuff I know is there via the fb search. Your strategy will probably be useful for others using fb too, so thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete