Thursday, October 6, 2011

Course content can spark career interest

Over the past few weeks I've been reading postings and see that each course introduces students to a rich source of possible occupations through the content. For example, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, this year's common reading could spark students' interest in careers in biology, writing, journalism, or history- a few that come to mind as I read the book.

The challenge is to find ways to accomplish this without diverting students attention from assignments or creating more work for faculty. As I read postings I can see that the first few weeks have many technological challenges. A second challenge is providing information in a useful format that doesn't cause readers' eyes to glaze over;-)

One way to begin is to create a link to the College's eCareer Plan on each course's web page or some other suitable location. (The site can be found at www.lagcc.cuny.edu/ecareer students log on with their LaG email account and pw; faculty and staff log on with their GroupWise log on and pw.) The link leads to a landing page that brings students to eCareer Central- a site where they can find information on occupations, transferring and finding employment and to the eCareer Plan, a step by step guide to career decision-making and planning. (It occurs to me that being a student in a class that uses 2.0 technology is job prep. Students are learning to use technology and team building, two important skills in today's workforce).

4 comments:

  1. I need to start using the term "team-building" some more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great link for students and faculty. I look forward to directing my students to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see a lesson plan that connects The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks to eCareers! Sounds fascinating. More ideas! More ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I'd heard of e-career this was the first time I took a look. I think there are many potential connections with course materials. Some of the self-evaluation tools can be linked to students' reflections on their lives, experiences and life goals. It will be good to find tangible ways of connecting.

    ReplyDelete