Friday, November 18, 2011

De León, Johnson & Kato's cool things!

This exercise has been a fun and challenging way to work together. We haven't managed to meet face to face, but managed to email each other several times to complete our task.

Rebekah's cool thing is that her blog has homework descriptions right there, so students do not need to go to blackboard for details. We also like that she posted her mid-semester survey on her blog. Nozomi’s did gave her mid-semester survey in her class because her students are not tech-savvy and made it in a manner that the class can finish it in a minute. Overall, we were pleased that the three of us always prefer a student-centered approach like me.

Nozomi's cool things are the way she mixes the use of ePortfolio (ePortfolio is required for Art and Design majors) and blogger. This exchange allows her students to exchange digital images on each other's course blogs. Nozomi also asked students to do an optional museum visit and in return students began posting about their visits—all thanks to the new online exchange--blogger! Nozomi finds blogging as another platform for students to communicate with her. Nozomi was able to respond to their requests for assistance, though the downside was that some students did not reply back to her outreach posts afterwards.

Ingrid's cool thing is that she posts mathematical problems on her MathLaGCCBlog. I have never seen that before, and I think that students would find problems posted on a blog rather than in a book or on a blackboard are different and interesting, and more engaging. In addition, there is information about online tutoring and an invitation to ask questions on the blog, encouraging students to use online services to learn more.

It comes as no surprise that posting homework assignments on our blogs is a pretty darn cool idea. It provides us with freedom and efficiency to send our students straight to the task without having to worry about Blackboard’s wonky ways and high traffic during midterms and finals.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post (and it was for homework-hehe).

    Mid-semester surveys are really good to check the pulse of the class. I just read one really simple one in the Prohacker blog that I am thinking of implementing in my own class perhaps via Survey Monkey:

    "I like to use a simple “Stop, Start, Continue” evaluation. Each student lists one thing she’d like me to stop doing, one thing she’d like me to start doing, and one thing I’m already doing that she’d like to see continued. Of course, I remind students that I can not stop assigning papers or start bringing pizza to class, so they should keep their requests reasonable. Usually, I get some great suggestions and insight from this approach, and the students like to know that their concerns are being heard."
    --posted by Tria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dr. X.! Will keep this in mind whilst planning our spring semester attack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten some good feedback from students from the surveys. I hope this helps me to make the class great for them and lets them know I take their opinions seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to thank Maria Jerskey for the great idea about doing mid-semester surveys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted a few student comments from my mid-semester survey on my course blog. < http://art-in-newyork.blogspot.com/2011/11/announcement.html >.

    ReplyDelete