Thursday, December 1, 2011

The 9/11 Memorial Park

Art in New York


A. Learning Objectives
Students will be able to:
  • Describe what happened in NYC on September 11th, 2001.
  • Explain why NYC created the 9/11 Memorial Park.
  • Analyze the effects of 9/11 on NYC in the context of Visual Arts.
  • Write about Landscape Architecture in the language of Visual Arts.
  • Evaluate resources on the LaGuardia Library Website for their research paper.
B. Reflective Description
The class visited the 9/11 Memorial Park before Thanksgiving. Writing about the park is one of the paper assignments for the course. We already visited a few 9/11 exhibitions and discussed artists and their artworks related to 9/11 this semester. However, this will be the first time for them to write about architectural elements, so I prepared "Tips for the Papers" on the official course blog. Square, Name, or Pool are research topics that I suggested for students, but they can also find another research point.

C. Conclusions
I booked this group ticket two months ago for the class to visit the "king" of all Arts in New York. The main concept was that students can only see this landmark now, not before, and this is something that symbolizes NYC of "our/their generation." It is new. For me, this field trip was personal, as well, because I was a LaGuardia student on September 11th, 2001 and experienced 9/11 on campus. In any case, I was afraid that the weather will be horrible and yes, that's right; it was terrible. Worse comes to worse, it was a Friday schedule on Wednesday [not to mention it started to rain as we entered the park!]. Nevertheless, students came and they mysteriously enjoyed the field trip. I also received a video from a student in this course. This monument opened on September 11th, 2011, and it is beautifully done.

2 comments:

  1. I think your tips are great! I would love to see snippets of the papers, if possible, once they turn them in...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading the students' work, as well. I have enjoyed reading your work and all that you have done with your course this semester! :)!

    ReplyDelete