Sunday, February 26, 2012

Best of Class and Worst

My assignment consisted in connecting two Intro to Philosophy classes on the blog. They had to comment on various philosophers’ views on the soul or self, namely Plato, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Kant, the Phenomenological Approach, the Materialist View, and the Buddhist. This was a low stakes assignment, and I created a blog entry for each philosopher with a picture. It did look good. My little good moment was when I wrote the blog address on the board, one of the students with a laptop went to the blog immediately and exclaimed, “Did you do this? – Wow!” So all students checked out the blog just out of curiosity. The result of the assignment was mixed, some students left rather short comments, especially when commenting on other students’ comments; they mostly just said that they agree with the other student, so in the future I need a more specific interaction. The bad part came when one of the students commented on Descartes based on a misunderstanding; it’s a bit funny, as the student strongly disagreed with Descartes on the grounds that someone in a coma does exist even though that person does not think. It caught on like wildfire before I could intervene. I realized that it is important to check that blog on a very regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment