Sunday, April 1, 2012

Week 4 Reflection

This week I took both of my Intro classes on field trips to MoMA PS1. This is always one of my favorite field trips for the semester. PS1 displays some of the most experimental new artwork, and I enjoy the challenge of engaging my students with this work. Their corresponding reaction essay is entitled "The Good, the Bad and the Misunderstood". For this paper, they must select three artworks currently on display: one they like, one they dislike and one they do not understand. Students must consider whether they can appreciate a work of art that is not their personal taste, and whether a work of art must spell out all of the answers to be successful. It's around this point in the semester where I make it clear that my role in the class is not that of "Defender of Art". Not everything that I present in class is within my own personal taste. Rather, I try to engage my students with a wide spectrum of work, hoping that they can find something that they personally connect with. You can see the field trip #2 guidelines on the class blog: http://introtoart1064.blogspot.com/

PS: The Blackboard test-taking issue from last week seems to have been solved. Firefox 11 is just not compatible.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I look forward to some samples from student responses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your NOT title Defender of Art. My Art professor at Penn State only showed us work he liked, I wonder many years later what kind of work he did not like as he never said.

    ReplyDelete