Friday, June 8, 2012

Final Reflection

The lessons that I will be taken away from the seminar are:
Anyone has something to offer in the field of hybrid teaching because nobody is able to test out all tools at all occasions. Digital technology changes every day, so someone new can contribute to the community based on her or his own experiences, and that is what we want. For this reason, our community must be able to accept anyone at any point of her or his development in order to sustain itself as a meaningful group.

As a newbie, I enjoyed creating an assignment for two different platforms: Bad Drawing for ePortfolio and Bad Drawing for Blogger. 


Students’ works based on that blogger platform are great. People can read my blog post on this topic when they feel like it.

Warning: Always assume that students do not post their best drawings from their sketchbooks. They might feel their best drawings are the worst ones. They may be afraid that someone might steal their original materials when they post the drawings online. Hybrid teaching is not "online" teaching for this reason and I would inspect their actual sketchbooks before grading.



The Things I might have wanted to know more about: 
Hmm...can I be honest? I think I was the first Professor (ever) in my department asking beginning painting students start blogging, without knowing the fact myself. It was historical and I am pleased to learn that I contributed to the institutional achievement, but I might have wanted to know the fact in advance. Also, I was probably the first Asian Professor teaching painting at LaGuardia and my blog helped my students, who were not familiar with the Japanese accent, understand me better. I actually encourage everyone to take one Japanese course before graduation (LaGuardia offers the most comprehensive Japanese language program at the community college level among CUNY and is starting its Asian Studies Program with Queens College), but it is good to know that hybrid classroom can support students in the multicultural environment.


My favorite moments in the seminar are:
When I re-consider traditional structures of the university classrooms and/or the program.

This is weird, but my workshops, not classes, this semester made me re-consider my art classrooms. Not having a class made me feel free from obligations and allowed me to think the way I do not normally think. I often tried to evaluate the differences between a regular art studio session and a museum/ culture center workshop. I feel workshop formats may be better for a few studio sessions in my art appreciation courses.

As a child, I liked museum workshops more than school art courses probably because teachers were less prepared and more open to unique ideas (note: this is my memory from Japan). Some of them did not seem to know how to form a functional classroom environment, but that was okay and I enjoyed it or even exploited it at times.


On my blog, I think this is the most (intentionally) unstructured class assignment that I made this year.


Suggestions that I have for future participants in the seminar are:
Just listen to your seminar leaders. You cannot go wrong with them, so listen to them carefully.
Use more art for your blog post!!!!!
Start painting.



Useful, helpful, or interesting posts/threads to discuss: 
Food Art. I notice that many people use the common reading and developed assignments around that topic. Ari's Food Art site is a useful resource for everyone who would like to explore the theme.


Future:
I think individual interaction/ connection will be the main teaching method for art in five to ten years. Three types of online connections I learned in the seminar are individual (skype, facebook chat, etc), small group (forum), and large group (wiki). All modes of communication can be useful for art production, but I feel intense art advising through conversations can only be realized through individual interactions with master artists.

4 comments:

  1. Your work with Art and online interactions will continue to grow Nozomi. Keept at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your opening paragraph. I agree, as a newbie myself, that we all have something to offer. I'm interested to read that the blog supported a multicultural environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nozomi, I just lost all my comments to you. Grrrrr. (Some of the frustrations of having students write on the blog during class time!) I was saying that it sounds like you accomplished some real breakthroughs for your department this semester! I also wondered why you encourage everyone (your students or everyone?) to take a Japanese class before graduating. Why? I'm glad to hear it because that's my department (ELA!). I'd also like to hear more about the distinction between your studio and workshop classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nozomi,

    It's really interesting how you were able to use blogs for art projects and assignments. Blogs are a very different media for displaying art work - your students have expanded into this other third space as artists!

    I agree that Ari's Food Art Blog was a great, unique idea - so great to work with him and my students were excited to be a part of that, too!

    I think you're right - the future of faculty-student interaction will likely be online and we need to be prepared and ready to explore the possibilities!

    -Rebekah

    ReplyDelete