Monday, April 22, 2013

Online Journal

Hi everyone,

I am very sorry for the delay. It's been a rough couple of weeks as a daddy.

I am hoping to begin working with this cohort on an online journal that chronicles their experience working in the CUNY Fatherhood Academy and allows them to connect with folks from the previous cohorts. A blog would be great, but it's difficult to find the right time to get everyone in the same room to work on it. We want to keep it relevant to their interests and to what is current in the classroom (much emphasis on classroom) and where those two things might intersect. Frankly, as I fight off infection, this sounds like quite a chore. But I think the folks who signed up for the task will have many interesting things to say.

And I'm still trying to get on top of putting together a wiki as a resource. I was planning on connecting two classes, but one of those classes has been pretty inconsistent. Is anyone who is teaching an English class interested and ready this semester to have a bunch of people looking over your shoulder?

Daryl

5 comments:

  1. My students in the Statistics class are doing a project in groups. It is a free choice project, literally. I will guide them through but they decide the content and goal. Maybe we can connect one of your groups to my group, so that your students help, collaborate, share, and discuss ideas of actual project, even collect data for them, or learn how to etc. Very low stakes tasks intended more as mentoring from my Stats class students over your students. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I think this sounds like a great opportunity. I would be happy with chat with you about the logistics. I will try to get in touch as soon as I can.

      Delete
  2. I think that the journal approach is a great idea for the groups of individuals you work with. Students need to see progress in what they do, in order to see how far they have come. Maybe you can put a date and time for everyone to post a response, so even if they are not present during class, their work can still be evaluated or discussed. Similar to how we need to post by a certain day for this seminar, we also have a certain date to respond to others as well. I believe that connecting to previous groups can allow students to use them as resources and foster feelings of mentoring as well as showing how the course can come full circle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Porsha. I appreciate the feedback. I like your idea about assigning a deadline for comments. However, it might make the journal less authentic. Perhaps if I opened it up to the public, or a larger community, for comment it might change things a bit.

      Delete
  3. Daryl, since Sarah is working in our dept and also teaching an English class, you might want to think about connecting to her students. You can email her with this idea. I bet she will be open to it.

    ReplyDelete