Thursday, April 11, 2013

Planned C2.0 Learning Activity(-ies)

My ideas are still pretty amorphous, but:

1)  As I'd posted on my dance card response: Lisa and I have plans to team up: she teaches Images of Women in the Media, and I teach Images of Women in Literature.  We're going to get our classes in community with each other this semester, to show that 1) images of women are pervasive and dangerous regardless of medium, and 2) for my purposes, Literature Is Relevant to the "real world."  

I'm afraid that I haven't had much time to think about this beyond our initial conversation--Spring "Break" wasn't!


2) I'm uncomfortable with committing to doing too much with new ideas and new technology this semester, for fear of shorting my students on what I've seen they need, the development of critical thinking and writing skills, but there's still plenty of the semester to go.  


I'm looking ahead to Fall more, though, when I'll have three ENG 101 (Composition I) classes to work with.  I know I want to do some sort of cultural literacy Web 2.0 forum, probably a Wiki of some kind, where the students just share knowledge: there would be/will be a list of topics (80+ since it'll be three sections of 28 students each) that the internet helps me decide are things worth knowing about (examples coming to mind right now are the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, Watergate, Higgs-Boson, and the Berlin Wall--basically, Jeopardy! answers) and students will research and post and read and learn and it'll be awesome.  That sounds way more kumbayah than I hope it will actually be... 



Also, I found this in my email drafts with a note that said "C2.0 post as comment later," but as I have absolutely no idea what it is referring to, I'll post it here:
I think that the most valuable element of the exercise is that we reach the same goal that we'd have with students in a Web 2.0 world/class/what-have-you, which is finding connections that we didn't see in actual conversation, getting the space to let ideas play out.  This hits on all of the elements of the C2.0 trivium, and we see it in action and can measure in some way its success before we quite understand it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Leah.
    I feel you on the spring break that wasn't. ;-)
    I'd say you and Lisa have the BIG ideas, but not the BIG time. Why not start small this semester with one activity that brings the two sections together. One place where the two sections can dovetail?
    And then we'll deal with your cultural literacy-Jeopardy game-kymbayah connection in which I totally want to be participate. (I noticed you avoided putting preps at ends of your sentences so I'm going to do the same.) I've done a "bingo" kind of game with my linguistics students that was fun AND got them to study for the final. Games are good. But a lot of planning. What if one of the activities was for them to collaboratively design games the other class could play? (Just to keep things simple. Not.)
    As for your last paragraph: That's another kind of connection you could have between the two sections: A kind of "jam session" in which they have XX amount of time to "converse" online about "images of women" (in media, in history) and make connections that wouldn't come up in conversation--but also might not come up in the individual sections. Also, have you thought of ways for them to share and or create said "images"?
    Looking forward to hearing/seeing more!

    ReplyDelete