Monday, May 13, 2013

5/13 Update on Activity


Neighborhood Activity Update

My two Urban Black Psychology sections have completed the first phase of the Neighborhoods and Community assignment, and I have been very impressed in the quality of their narratives.  The first phase involves students reflecting on their communities and writing an essay that addresses the elements of their communities (i.e. housing, types of businesses), the “ethnic features,” the positive and negative aspects, and the things that they would change.  Students have addressed the problems of their communities, as well as things that they value.   They have already begun to think about just how "stereotypical" their neighborhoods are (relative to other urban communities).  This week students should be filming their 3-minute videos of their neighborhood so that they may be viewed by one another.  Right now I am a struggling a bit deciding where they should upload their videos, because I haven’t identified the best platform.  You Tube? Wiggio? Vimeo?   I have been researching the different platforms for more than a week and am frustrated in the lack of ease of use of some of them.  The goal is for the videos to be uploaded by the weekend so that students may choose up to five to review and reflect on by early next week.   Between the two classes, there will be some 40 videos to choose from.  I would like to load them by borough so that students can by areas.  I am trying to simplify this as much as possible, but am feeling challenged.  If anyone has any thoughts, I will happily accept recommendations.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the other platforms but I like YouTube because students can subscribe to each others' channels and can also be notified when someone uploads a new video. However, I think, having a class channel might work best. The only problem is that I don't think you can actually sort the videos by borough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back here, Vanessa. The activity sounds really interesting.

    I think it would also be good to make a channel for this activity. Though I have some basic familiarity w. You Tube, there are some questions I would have. For example,
    if students make a video and create their own channel, can you add their videos to your class activity channel?

    You can use lists to categorize by borough, but I would test it out first so you know how to do this and can have clear instructions ready for your students.

    It may also be possible to tag and then search by tag within your channel - not sure about that.

    ReplyDelete