Saturday, May 18, 2013

Update (May 18)

After all the suspense, the connecting activity is officially underway. My ENA101 students spent most of last Wednesday's class working on the "sandwiched" paragraph which would receive feedback from Thomas' class via Facebook. I hadn't expected them to take almost the entire period to write, but in a class where I've often had to push and prod students to focus on their work, I had to extend the writing time nearly the entire period. Since I made it very clear that everyone's work would be visible to everyone in both classes, my students worked on their paragraphs with more care and sheer intensity than they'd been doing all semester -- and it shows in the noticeably higher quality of their paragraphs. For once, peer pressure is the teacher's friend! In my years of classroom experience, peer pressure has most often silenced participation in discussions. For some reason, it seems to have the opposite effect with Web 2.0. In any case, although we aren't receiving feedback from Thomas' students until Monday, I already consider this experiment a huge success.

Irwin

2 comments:

  1. This is inspiring, as I'll be linking my Comp classes in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Since I made it very clear that everyone's work would be visible to everyone in both classes, my students worked on their paragraphs with more care and sheer intensity than they'd been doing all semester" -
    I love it! I'm not sure it's peer pressure as much as VANITY! This to me is one of the biggest incentives for using Web 2.0: sheer vanity (or the appeal of the expanded, though imagined, audience) improves writing skills!!

    ReplyDelete