Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Quiet



Hello Everyone! I am rated as a ‘moderate introvert’. Although I consider myself as an extravert.



Depending on the circumstances, I sometimes make people think that I am an introvert. For example, if there are too many extroverts in the room arguing or I am not comfortable with the discussion.





 How does “Quiet” help you prepare for/anticipate the coming semester and your goals as a teacher?



 Quiet helps me think why some of my students never liked to talk or answer my questions in class and online during spring semester. I think not responding online or blogging could be a characteristic of an introvert too. Considering there are extroverts and introverts in a class, I should start modifying my lectures, assignments, online activities, projects to target both groups. I started reading about student introverts/extroverts behavior and how to engage them effectively, especially in my statistics classes.





When you reflect on students’ participation/engagement with the connecting activity you did or your own participation in Community 2.0 during this semester what seeds/tips can you plant for the fall? 


In Spring seminar I connected my MAT120 regular section with the hybrid class using google groups and posted conceptual questions for students from both sections to post their response online and have an ongoing discussion. Well, it didn’t work the way I planned. Students posted their response but never posted any discussions/feedback on their peers’ responses. Also, responses were similar. So my plan for this semester is to first create a discussion board where students get comfortable using a web tool by asking questions regarding lectures, homeworks.  Then, I will slowly introduce conceptual questions that will allow students to not only post their response but also discuss with other peers.




Consider how you evaluate “quiet” people and how you address privacy.  How have your assumptions about collaboration/participation shifted or changed?  How can we use/take advantage of Web 2.0 platforms to “include” and enhance everyone’s presence?



I think that collaboration using web platforms is for both groups. I liked Cain’s statement about how introverts are big achievers when compared to extroverts. I strongly feel that web tools will help introverts to communicate and let their voice be heard without facing the world. Web will be their new medium to show their presence. This homework activity is great. I spent whole afternoon yesterday reading ‘Quite’ quietly.



What are other categories of students who might find voice in these Comm 2.0 activities?


I think Comm 2.0 activities fit everyone. Especially International students with poor English speaking ability can also take advantage of these tools. This will help students to improve their writing talent, learn from peers, and enhance their learning skills. I believe that instructors must create/tailor their activities after meeting their students (may be after first week of classes) in order to understand the demography/categories of students.




How does thinking about “quiet” students (or faculty members) shape your understanding of the trivium pedagogy, community, and Web 2.0?



In India, we were taught fundamental math principles in traditional lectures. The professor explained equations while writing them on the board, his back to the class, as we took notes in silence. After the lecture, we did the assigned homework, memorized formulas, and returned to class for the next day’s lesson. My fellow students and I either “got it” or didn’t “get it;” if we had misconceptions, they were ours to discover and work out before an examination. I think that students in this generation are extroverts and they need to be exposed to various types of learning including using technology to motivate and direct them in a right direction. 

I could write more but I am getting late for our Community 2.0 seminar. Thanks for reading.

Sree

2 comments:

  1. "I think Comm 2.0 activities fit everyone. Especially International students with poor English speaking ability can also take advantage of these tools." This point was helpful to me as I was not sure what was meant by other kinds of students. It's especially apt since we have so many international students who speak English as a second language. This is also going to help me look at these students in a more nuanced way. They may NOT be naturally introverted but in an English speaking environment, may be.

    My fellow students and I either “got it” or didn’t “get it;” if we had misconceptions, they were ours to discover and work out..

    Really interesting. Thanks for this insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sree. Not sure you'll read this now that it's so late in the game, but just to say, I finally did read it and loved it. The whole complexity of introvert/extravert and language competency (not to mention cultural communication maxims) really complicates how we understand our students' participation (and evaluate them!).

    ReplyDelete