Friday, October 18, 2013

A story of S... tatistics.

I am also late... but here I am back. I have been thinking about Community 2.0, participation, communication, and expectations.

My connection is with the CLIP class of Cyndi Casey. I visited them last Thursday to talk about the two activities we will be doing during the rest of the term. A wiki and discussion boards. It was difficult to read what are the expectations of the instructor on the other side of the connection, my expectations, and what the students think of being connected, specially not my students. I tried my best putting together the platforms and we will see how they participate.

I will post the details of the assignements very soon and the anecdotes to develop. For now you can see the wiki developing at: http://mat120hybridlaguadiacc.wikispaces.com and the discussion boards at https://piazza.com/class/hld04c2dng9pt?cid=61.

In the mean time I would like to share with you a presentation I am giving this Sunday at the NYSMATYC (New York State Mathematics Association of Two Year Colleges) and where I would try to advertise Community 2.0. All the work we do here is now a big part of any activity I have in my hybrid classes, and more ofter in my traditional classes. Thanks to all!




I promise more about my connections soon!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Milena!! I loved the Prezi and am eager to know how the presentation went yesterday. Also, I appreciate the challenge of this hybrid/online/C2.0 approach that you speak about write about: "It difficult to read what are the expectations of the instructor on the other side of the connection, my expectations, and what the students think of being connected, specially not my students." I think we all struggle with this as we move online and think about communities as much as we do pedagogy. New practices are emerging, but it takes these kinds of problem-posing to move ahead. Bravo! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The presentation went well. I am starting to seriously suspect that there are many online/hybrid personal definitions, specially in the practice. I am starting to realize, that at least in the Math Environment, online activities are understood as things that run by themselves, get students entertained and busy, and required little attention... it is hard to break that up idea.

      Delete