Monday, November 4, 2013

Connecting Activity

It has taken longer than I anticipated, but both of my sections of BTM101 have finally made contact! I have created a course ePortfolio, which I shared with both classes. I broke students up into 12 groups of 4 and 1 group of 5. Each group has its own workspace. Groups are comprised of students from both sections, so some students have never physically met. 

Students have introduced themselves and commented on the introductions of at least one other group. I have uploaded the reading for the case study as well as the questions connected with it. Students have chosen which question (out of 4) they would like to answer within their own groups. 

I have explained to students that although in each group, a student is responsible for one of the questions, they are all responsible in critiquing each others' work and providing suggestions on how the responses could be improved. Furthermore, each student will have to assess the work of one other group.

Students have begun the reading and will start composing their responses this week. 

I have to create a rubric by which I will assess their work, and which they can use to assess each other. I hope to have it posted within the next few days.

I am looking forward to reading the responses. I am hoping that students will communicate well with each other using ePortfolio. I am allowing some class time to make sure that students are touching base and I have left some comments to groups who are missing either introductions, question assignments or both.

2 comments:

  1. Nikki,

    This is great! Just wondering how do you use ePortfolio to make groups?

    Sree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sree,

    Please check out the eP: https://lagcc-cuny.digication.com/courses_without_boundaries/Welcome/

    What I did was make pages for each group. I had an assistant set up a module for each page, thereby creating a unique workspace for each group. The assistant also labeled each group page with the last names of the group members, so each page was easy to identify. I was happy to have the help of the assistant, as I was so bogged down at work at the time we were creating the ePortfolio, but it is simple enough that I have done it in the past myself.

    Thanks so much for your kind comment and question. If you are ever interested in creating a course ePortfolio and making groups and would like some help, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete